Saturday, November 23, 2013

perception: mind or body?

November is a stressful month. It always seems like everything happens, or needs to be taken care of, the week of my show. I am already feeling better as the week is ending. It's a bittersweet feeling, the end of a show. I'm excited because I will have time to be a human being. But I love performing, and I don't get to do it nearly as much as I'd like to.

Being a performer has given me a better appreciation for bodies. The things bodies are capable of are astounding. When time slows down on stage, every movement is exposed. Thats why I love watching professional sports like football because those guys are true athletes, their bodies are incredible. The way that they move around obstacles at full force is incredible to watch. When those guys jump, everything in them is extending as hard as it possibly can to reach the goal. And boy, do those guys know know to fall, they just carry their momentum and roll out of it and pop right back up like it was nothing.

Maybe because American Sign Language was my first language, I find it easier to communicate with my body. I get  frustrated with people who don't understand their bodies. You know, those people who become terrified when you invite them to do any type of physical activity. You live inside of your body, you should know how to move it! When people tell me they don't know how to dance, I roll my eyes. Dance is any and all movement, graceful or not. I love to dance, you can explain more than just subjects to an audience when words just don't do it justice, but emotions and ideas too.

Speaking English is hard for me, especially in groups. I'm busy translating in my head, and by the time I've caught up to the conversation its usually a little too late to respond. I've found that if I can be physically close to someone, then I have an easier time communicating with them. I guess I just experience the world through my body, rather than my mind.

No comments:

Post a Comment