Monday, December 23, 2013

"All men are created equal"

This last weekend was a big weekend here in Utah! Same-sex marriage is legal!

I have also found out this weekend that apparently I can't be a supporter of the LGBT community unless I am also gay. Seriously? My inbox was flooded with messages on Facebook after I posted some articles about the ban being lifted on same-sex marriages, with people asking me why I supported the LGBT community. Most of them were "concerned" that I am gay, and then I was encouraged to stop posting things about it.

It doesn't matter that I prefer men over girls. And even though I'm not gay, that doesn't mean that I can't support those who are. I've mentioned before that I have a lot of friends who are, and I honestly don't see anything wrong with it. Let people do what they want to do.

We as people are meant to be different. No two people are the same. It is seriously impossible to find the one thing that everyone in this world is going to like. No one has the same favorite foods, or favorite color. Hell, we can't even agree on how the country is going to be run. But somehow we're all "supposed to" only like boys if we're girls, or vice versa.

That doesn't make any sense to me. Let people like what they want to like, it doesn't impede on your lifestyle at all.

I grew up LDS. So I understand why some churches are freaking out but there's this cool thing where the church and the state are separate. Which means that it doesn't matter what the churches say, they can't sway the government. And the government can do whatever it wants, no bishiop is going to stop them. Also, the whole misconception of "if the government will let them get married then we have to let them get married in the churches" makes me so angry. If a gay person wanted to follow the rules of your religion, then they would do it.

In the Mormon church there are two different kinds of marriage, a civil marriage or a temple marriage. Civil marriages are recognized only by the state, and usually if a couple is only civilly married it's because they can't go to the temple for whatever reasons (new members, unworthy, whatever). The temple marriage is the sacred and holy thing that they're all freaking out about. Hey guess what, if gays wanted to get married in the temple then they would follow YOUR rules. No church is expected to change their rules just because the government does, remember "Church and state are separated".

Same-sex marriages are performed by the state - so all you mormons can calm down, they're civil marriages. You have no problems with a couple of 19 year-olds signing their eternal lives away after knowing each other for two months, but if two men who have been in a committed relationship for 20 years and want to get married, its sinful.

So let them be happy - stop harassing gay people and telling them that they are abominations.  EVERYONE deserves a chance to be happy.

"We hold these truths to be self-evident, that all men are created equal, that they are endowed by their Creator with certain unalienable Rights, that among these are Life, Liberty and the pursuit of Happiness

No comments:

Post a Comment