Wednesday, December 4, 2013

What is it??

Today before class, a bunch of the dancers were talking about having babies (one of the girls is pregnant, and a few have babies of their own). This conversation made me realize that I have a somewhat traditional view on the whole babies thing.
 I don't want to know if I'm having a boy or a girl, until the doctor hands me my baby and says "Congrats, it's a ... " fill in the blank.
I think not knowing kind of makes you more prepared with a gender neutral nursery and clothes. You won't get all the silly frilly dresses or baseball outfits that your baby either isn't going to wear, or only wear once. Instead you'll get tons of onesies (bonus!).
I've heard of people who thought they were having one thing, and ended up having the other. That would suck, you'd have a little girl in boys clothes and a blue room.
Some articles I've read talk about parents who knew whether they were having a boy or girl, and how they would end up gender typing the pregnancy. Like when they would read books to the baby in the belly, they would read Eloise and girly books, and avoid the boyish books. I don't want my kids to feel like they have to be a certain way to be loved. That includes gender stereotypes, I wouldn't want to pressure my child to be super girly if she didn't want to be. I would want my children to find out what they liked, and like it regardless of what is "appropriate" for their gender. It starts when they're babies, so the longer I could put off the stereotypes, the better.
Plus, think of how fun it'll be not knowing! Everyone will be looking up old wives tales to try and figure out what I might be having. Making all kinds of guesses.

No comments:

Post a Comment